|This is the afghan when I had gotten about 3/4 of the way done.|
|This is how it looked after I had to rip most of it out because there was a mistake that was affecting the entire piece.|
May 9, 2013This is a pattern from a kit I originally purchased from Mary Maxim. http://www.marymaxim.com/annie-s-lace-throw-2.html
I made one in the yarn that came with the kit which was Mary Maxim Starlette yarn in Coral. You could choose the color of the yarn from all the colors available for Starlette yarn. Since I had several Caron One Pound skeins of a color called Claret, I decided to make another since I now had the pattern. I had gotten about 3/4 of the way through the pattern when I started to notice that the ends were not right. What you do in this pattern is, once the center motif is done (bottom photo) you make 4 corner sections so now it is more square. Then on opposing sides, you add several more rows and now the piece becomes rectangular. That's where I had the problem. It somehow looked like the stitches were shrinking as if I had a decrease somewhere. I couldn't figure out what I had done but there was no way to fix it unless I just ripped it out to a certain point and started again.
This is a pattern that may have won a contest for Mary Maxim and sometimes people who write these patterns leave out things that some of us may need, like how many stitches you should have after completing a certain section. When I made the first afghan, I wrote those numbers in myself but not everywhere. There is a lot of counting that needs to be done while working on this pattern but I like it so much, I'm going to give it another go. I'll post more later.
This is how the center looked after I added the 4 corners.
May 13, 2013
|Here's a different view of the afghan.|
May 17, 2013
Finished this afghan last night. It's finished size is 64" long x 48" wide. Came out a bit bigger than the last one I made but I think that's because I used a different yarn. Both are #4 worsted weight yarns but the first afghan I made with the kit was made with Mary Maxim Starlette yarn. This was made with Caron One Pound yarn in Claret. I think I used a total of 3 skeins for a total of 48 ounces or 2,436 yards.